Subject: Re: looking for a special unicode font
From: Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:50:16 -0400

>> the use of the Symbol font is a visual illusion that
>> appears to cover the flaw in the structure of the document.
>
>Uh, it *does* cover the flaw, to an extent adequate for
>most people. It's better than leaving the flaw exposed.
>Or staying home and watching TV. Unless it's an F-1 race.

Hmm. Don't look behind the curtain, then?

Again, the problem -- the transmission and display of math and science
equations -- requires an accurate, robust, error-proof solution. The Symbol
hack is none of these; it is a visual band-aid.

A true solution -- as design, you agree, must in its soundest application
be -- will allow for no ambiguity or failure to communicate the
information. There is not available in this type of matter the human
faculties that can be applied to recover from errors encountered in
text-as-language -- such as might be occasionally permissible in mundanely
transliterated communications.

The other solutions proposed do sound more promising, but I'm afraid, er,
pleased, paper may be the best solution after all.

Gary