Subject: Re: Newspaper Type Design
From: "Nguyen, Phan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:10:52 -0800

> Also, wasn't Miller originally designed
> for newspaper setting anyway?

Miller came out of Carter's interest in Scotch types while revising
Caledonia for Time magazine. Here's an excerpt from the transcript of the
1997 Font Free-for-All in New York:

"One rather unexpected thing that happened, when I was working on this
Miller family, was that it got picked up for newspaper use. I had not
anticipated this, but Roger Black, voracious type-user that he is, grabbed
this Miller thing and used it. I think in more than one newspaper. Within
the last month, The Guardian newspaper in London, has started to use Miller
as well, which pleased me very much because The Guardian, as you may know,
is one of the best designed newspapers.

"You see, here, some additional weights. The semi is just an idea. It's too
wide, it's too heavy and I don't like the word semi. Otherwise it's just
about right. But the Miller display bold, as you can see, is a little bit
condensed. Really, it's The Guardian that is chasing me for this. They want
a news headline face, a bold headline face, so I have made it a little bit
on the narrow side, which I like. I mean, I'm glad to do that.

"Here's another view of this bold display version of Miller with, as I say,
newspapers in mind, although that was not my original intention, but one of
the uses to which its been put has turned out to be newspapers. It's also,
by the way, not this version, but the text Roman and italic, have been
hinted by the Font Bureau, by David, for use on another of Roger's projects,
@ Home Network. In other words, there is also an online version of Miller
available...

"Right down on the bottom is a very heavy version of Miller that I made for
US News and World Report, which they are now using. Their production system
required a kind of beefed up, fortified version of Miller, so this is a
special one with extra vitamins and minerals to stand up to the particular
circumstances of US News and World Report, still set on a Scitex system, I
believe."