Subject: Re: Newspaper Type Design
From: "Rolf F. Rehe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:57:13 +0100

>08 03 01 02 38: Andy Crewdson, [log in to unmask] a écrit /
>wrote:
>
>>> the one for the headlines, Stone Serif "condensed" at 70% / 80% than the
>>> titling font I have designed. Summer who follow this, has been happy with
>>> the "transformation" and he has say to me that his Stone work well despite
>>> this.
>>
>> I have to strongly disagree with Stone here (and I've examined the printed
>> Le Monde many times). Squeezing type more than 3-5 % seems pretty
>> objectionable. Plus, many people would have a problem with Stone being used
>> in a newspaper even _without_ any horizontal scaling.
>
>I don't say that I like that! Not at all. It's why I have tried to push my
>titling condensed font with thinner serifs, more vertical axe, etc.

To me the condensed type - text and heads - in Le Monde is something
only a Le Monde subeditor could love. Indeed, more than 5% squeezing
rarely ever works.

>About the use of Stone non-condensed. Be careful, American newspapers style
>is different than European style, it's cultural. In US, newspapers tend to
>use Bold Sans for headlines, in Europe, they generally prefer Serif
>versions. For body, we find more Times and Garaldes, in Us more Ionics, etc.

Most North American newspapers use serif fonts for heads, not sans
serifs. In Europe, it is more diversified, but I'd say the same is
basically true (most headline styles are serifs).

>We can't generalize like that, but cultural aspect and tradition are
>important in newspaper design, not at all the case with magazine design.

The general trend in newspaper design, at least as far as the Latin
typography is concerned, is toward global concepts. I am not saying
that's where it is, but that's where it's going. Is that good or bad?
It's debatable. (French papers, however, still follow their own
drummer and that composition [pun just happened] is quite debatable
too.)

Rolf
Design Research International
- Quality and Innovation -