XML-L March 2001

Re: EAI and XML?

Lynda VanVleet <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Mar 2001 15:28:28 -0800

In addition to the list Michael provided, add Sun Microsystems Forte Fusion
and new product offerings from BEA, IBM and Microsoft.  I think they are
called BEA WebLogic Integration Product, IBM WebSphere Commerce Suite &
MQIntegrator, and Microsoft BizTalk and .NET  If I remember correctly
Accenture uses webMethods and Vitria but I may be wrong so it wouldn't hurt
to check with consulting firms.
Trying to weed out what product is best and what the product actually is -
EAI, B2B or Application Server - is very hard.  If you are looking at
database integration you also need to research Oracle and Software AG.  A
lot of homework!!
The best recommendation I can make is to start small - very small.  I was
recently at "big telecommunications giant" and they were starting EAI with 2
workflow business processes and only two applications in addition to a
front- and back-end for Phase I.
Another place to do homework is at conferences.  There is XML DevCon in NY
and Software Development (SD) 2001 West in San Jose in April, XML One in
Chicago in May, and many many more.

Lynda VanVleet

Lynda Van Vleet
Software Design Engineer