XML-L March 2001

Re: Looking for an xml editor

Charles Muller <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:47:58 +0900

From: Charles Muller

I have been working for some time in the development of a large, web-based
multilingual (Chinese-Korean-Japanese)-English dictionary in XML, some of
the more interesting fruits of which will be announced shortly on this list.

When it comes to XML Editors, the choices any particular user makes are
going to be much dependent upon what kind of work one is going to do.

In my case, I want to handle multilingual documents in Unicode (utf-8) that
include double-byte characters. It is *literary text* that I am dealing
with, not database tables, so I don't want white space stripped out after
every tag. That has been one of the biggest problems with using XML Spy, as
was recently mentioned.

The other major problem for me with Spy is that it is extremely slow in
handling large files. Many of my files are over 1 MB, and Spy simply chokes
on these, and monopolizes all my system memory in the process. The strongest
point about Spy for my purposes, is its seemless handling of Unicode and
multilingual fonts.

After the post earlier today, I downloaded and tried two of the packages
mentioned: XMetal and XMLWriter. Again, my needs are idiosyncratic, so my
impressions need to be taken in that context.

Memory-wise, both packages were much faster than Spy. But despite the
availability of CJK fonts in the preferences area, I could not get XMetal to
properly display anything other than roman fonts. This makes it pretty much
useless as an editing tool for my purposes--and I think this is a shame for
a $500 package. XMLWriter is even worse, since it does not seem to support
UTF-8 at all (at least not on my system), but one can't complain too much, I
guess, with a price of $45. Also, neither of these seem to have the
convenient tools contained in Spy of sorting by ID, or exporting to
databases.

So for me, I cannot see a really well-rounded XML editor at the moment, but
hopefully something will eventually appear.

Charles Muller
Toyo Gakuen University

Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
http://www.human.toyogakuen-u.ac.jp/~acmuller