Subject: Re: Hinting Problems
From: Jean-Francois Porchez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:33:16 +0200

30 03 01 01 46: Eric Olson, [log in to unmask] a écrit / wrote:

> Having exhausted the web and other available resources, (David Lemon PDF,
> Adobe Type 1 Specs etc.) I'm still left with a problem I can't seem to fix.
> My Fontographer produced and hinted fonts are vertically uneven on screen
> at certain sizes when used in page layout programs like Quark and Illustrator.
> If the type size is larger than 14, or if I zoom in close, things are fine.
> It's when I'm at a normal view that things start to get wild.
> Is this in anyway related to my vertical hinting zones?
> Does this have anything to do with my bitmaps?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think I meet similar problem two or three years ago. Do you try to reverse
the hints in fog? Which version of fog you use? Fog 4 hinting is bugged. Fog
3.5 is better, Robofog based on 3.5 fog is better to. Last FL is really
powerful compared to thoses, concerning hinting.

I'm not sure to remember exactly, but o you try to modify the blue values?
There is an order to follow, just try to look to others fonts to see how
they manage that.

Do you try to create a font without the hints? To see what's happen?
You can try put YOUR hints in a existing font to try to reproduce the same
problem to be able to understand.

Salutations, Jean-Francois Porchez
http://www.typofonderie.com/ Buy and download your PTF font packs safely.
PTF font poll: Elect your prefered PTF font.