Re: Unreadability

Becky Davis <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:50:38 +0900

At 5:24 PM -0800 01.3.5, Hrant H Papazian wrote:
> Dean Allen wrote:
> > the technical type worls has never shown
>> much understanding of the practical concerns
>> of what I do.
>
> But your situation is not practical at all. Very few people
> use Macs, and very few people have large monitors set to
> very hi res. As far as MS (and Apple!) are concerned,
> you practically don't exist. . . .

Umm, Hrant, hyperbole is poor support for equivocal claims. In Japan, a
double-byte country with a plethora of proprietary double-byte font formats
and a gracious plenty of graphic designers (many of them enviably
talented), every active/serious/employed *print-publication* designer I've
ever met uses Macs (usually the fastest, current professional model) *and*
either 21" CRTs or (more recently) 22" Apple Cinema Displays, all running
at high res. Given that Japan's population is about half that of the U.S.
and that we seem to have more graphic designers per capita than the U.S.,
it's hard to imagine that collectively we amount to "very few people" using
Macs, since we consitute the majority of professional graphic designers
here. And we *do buy* fonts at a rate that is, IMO, astonishing,
considering that we do not act as service bureaux.

> But who cares about imaging people?!

Any vendor that wants people to use their type- and/or graphic-design
related products cares about imaging people. And they should care, since
repurposing of client product (especially in the form of eBooks and
interactive CDs) is becoming an increasingly important additional service
that we need to be able to provide clients.

Writing from the heart of Tokyo,