Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: ceist
From: "D. Livingston-Lowe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Feb 2001 01:22:44 -0500

A Thòmais chòir,

sgrìobhadh is the verbal noun, and here would correspond to the English
infinitive, 'to write', as in:

Feumaidh mi sgrìobhadh. = lit. 'must I writing' = "I must write"

Verbal nouns (e.g. sgrìobhadh, dèanamh, bualadh) are not alone the present
tense, but are preceded by a verb, e.g. "Tha mi a' sgrìobhadh" I write / do
write / am writing".

Ó Maolalaigh's "Scottish Gaelic in Three Months" or Black's "Cothrom
Ionnsachaidh" are good, modern references to have on Gaelic grammar, both
for beginners and advanced students.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dàibidh.