Subject: XML Newbie-- flatfile vs. rdbms
From: Benny Mathew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:09:21 +0530

Hi Guys....
I am new to XML technology, and am not very sure about the exact
applications of XML.
Just trying to use XML in what ever I see fit.

My Query is:
Can we use XML to store data in a flat file instead of an RDBMS?, what are
the advantage/disadvantages in doing so...
what if the data is an enterprise database consisting of thousands of
records...
Are there any issues in storing very large data only in XML file and having
no RDBMS. What about concurrency, can a lot of people access the same xml
file at the same time?

hope someone will enlighten me on this.
Thanks in advance.

Regards