Subject: Re: -1072896760, An invalid character was found in text content.
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Feb 2001 15:39:42 -0500

At 02:06 PM 02/16/2001 -0600, Gavin Landon wrote:
>...How can I prevent this from happening anywhere else.   Anyone have a
>function that take the, "embedded markup-significant characters, and if
>there are any, to replace them with their entity-reference
>equivalents"?  Seems to me, that would be very resource intensive for a
>ASP while building this XML file.

Sure it would be. That's why you need to do a reasonable amount of data
scrubbing *before* making the data available to your ASP -- probably at
load time (assuming you're using a dbms on the back end). Any system whose
data entry is based on the ability of users to copy-and-paste valid text
characters only is bound to be subject to breakage.

>If this character is a problem then why does it NOT show to be a problem
>in Internet Explorer?   If this character is a problem then why does it
>not show to be a problem when I right click on the XML save it as temp.xml
>and point my ASP to that XML file.   Same characters, isn't it?

I don't know the answer to this. It may have to do with how the page is
being served. So maybe -- just kind of talking off the top of my head --
maybe the MIME type of "text/xml" doesn't allow such outside-the-range
characters; if you open the file locally, rather than from a server, then
the MIME type isn't an issue. You might want to check on one of the
MS-geared newsgroups or Web sites, e.g.:
     http://www.vbxml.com
or the MSDN site.

Sorry -- I just don't know enough about *serving* XML, which is where I
think the problem is coming from. Maybe someone else on XML-L...?

John E. Simpson          | "Is it weird in here, or is it just
http://www.flixml.org    | me?" -- Steven Wright
XML Q&A: www.xml.com     |