Subject: Re: Mardersteig's Dante
From: "Nguyen, Phan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:37:01 -0800

> I could give you what I can dig up, but would rather
> wait for Phan, since he can do such a better job!

In that case, sorry you had to wait. I've been away from my email.

The best source for Dante info is from its biggest proponent, John Dreyfus,
and the two primary sources have already been mentioned by Kent, Eric, and
others:

_The Best of Fine Print on Type_ reprints "The Dante types," by John
Dreyfus, from Fine Print 11:4
Dreyfus's own collection of writings, _In Print_, features the essay
"Giovanni Mardersteig's work as a type designer."

A few other sources would be:

_Anatomy of a Typeface_ by Alexander Lawson
_The Officina Bodoni: An account of the work of a hand press 1923-1977_ by
Giovanni Mardersteig (though published posthumously), edited and translated
by Hans Schmoller.
_The Work of Giovanni Mardersteig, with 'Monotype' Faces_ by John Dreyfus
(Monotype booklet from 1967)
_Dante for Colophons_ by Gahlord Dewald

That last one hasn't been published yet.