Subject: Re: Boumas - vision - timing
From: Ben Haskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:00:37 -0800

Hrant H Papazian wrote:

> Except we only see 3, maybe 4 individual
> characters clearly enough during a fixation.

This assumes that letter-shapes are only acquired during a fixation (and
not during saccadic leaps). I assumed that Bouma timed fixations and
leaps. Did he measure "letter-shape acquisition time"? You can flash a
letter on a screen. The flash time could be just a few milliseconds, and
a few seconds after the flash, the subject may be able to verbalize the
letter. If the minimal detectable flash time is shorter than either a
fixation or a leap, letter-shapes could be acquired during leaps in
addition to just fixations.

All such considerations could be made moot by the arguments in my
following post:

"Boumas - vision - unsharp"

-- Ben Haskell