Subject: Re: Fraktur Boumas
From: "Rolf F. Rehe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Feb 2001 13:02:31 +0100

Ben Haskell wrote:

>"Rolf F. Rehe" wrote:
> >
> > The discussion about boumas and related matters is is quite
> > interesting. But it seems to be ascending into some lofty heights
> > where only bouma-ists (or anti-bouma-ists) may be able to follow (at
> > least I find it difficult and I am somewhat familiar with the topic
> > of legibility).
>Sorry, I'm exploring the possibility as to whether the human vision and
>reading systems are capable of extracting much sharper internal detail
>within word-shapes than Bouma himself (or his followers) at first
>realized. If this is possible, it alters one's approach towards the
>design of text fonts, or at least the questions that one asks.
>-- Ben Haskell

Perhaps my remark reflected my own (impatient) bias toward legibility
insights that are directly applicable to the use of Latin type faces.
I did not mean to question the validity of the ongoing discussion and
I am sorry if my remarks conveyed that impression. In fact, I think
this particular discussion is one of the most valuable and
interesting one that I have experienced on this list.

Design Research International
- Quality and Innovation -