Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Black Rose in Gaelic
From: "D. Livingston-Lowe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:03:38 -0500

A Mharion chir,

Chan eil a fhios agam. Ach ann an Dghlas Clyne, _Gaelic Names for Flowers
and Plants_ (1989), fhuair esan facal air bho Cholbhasa: dreas nam mucag,
the rose's bristly seeds apparently resembling a little pig brush. No poetic
references to Scotland in that one, I'm afraid.

The newer _Ainmean Gidhlig Lusan_ (1999) le Clark & MacDonald gives 'dreas
nam mucag' and in addition to their own coined, and lovely sounding, 'rs
beag bn na h-Alba', which they explain they took as a direct translation
from Hugh MacDiarmid's touching short verse, "The Little White Rose ".
Garvie's _Gaelic names of plants, fungi & animals_ (1999) does not deal with
the white rose at all.

Why the association with Alba? Any insights anyone? Cite am bheil na
luibhelaichean/botanists?

Le deagh dhrachd,
Dibhidh.