AFRIK-IT February 2001

Re: Public 802.11 networks?

Shady Kanfi <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:43:53 -0500

Hi folks,

On that other list I mentioned there have been a few follow-up
postings:

======

Salon.com article:
" Call it "the free-network movement" -- a
bubbled-up-from-the-underground effort to spread high-bandwidth
wireless connectivity everywhere. In their attempt to create a
user-generated alternative to a top-down industry -- in this case,
telecom -- initiatives like Seattle Wireless and Guerrilla.net look a
lot like the original Napster, the Web itself or the world of free
software. The free-software movement, in fact, is a working model for
many wireless Ethernet pioneers. Many people involved -- including
über-geek Brewster Kahle, founder of SFLan -- view it as free
software's newfound twin: open-source development of operational
antennas rather than operating systems."
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/12/01/wireless_ethernet/index.h
tml

=======

A database of publicly available 802.11b access points called the
Globally Accessible Wireless Database?
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/01/29/148206&mode=thread

Many airports are installing wireless in the terminals:
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/01/29/010129opwireless.xm
l>

=======
>Seattle Wireless is a not-for-profit project to develop a community
wireless
>network in Seattle and end recurrent telco fees. We are using
>widely-available, license-free technology to create a free,
locally-owned
>wireless backbone. This is a MetropolitanAreaNetwork (not just a
"wireless
>LAN" in your home or business) and a community-owned, distributed
system
>(not yet another service provider to whom you owe a monthly bill).
>
><http://www.seattlewireless.net/>

==========
and finally....

>Would this work?  If so, seems like the kind of thing that could be
easily
>organized.

But it would just die at 11 Mbps. We simply send too much traffic out
there, and this would not be segmented or switched. The design of
large networks (and/or WANs) is something that really requires
expertise. Simply linking networks like this is just too simple an
answer.

(Base stations are made to run on one of those "channel frequencies"
at a time. When you set up a roaming situation, base stations should
be set to different channels, usually at least 4 channels apart from
any base station they are in range of.

These channels overlap, so you need to get 4 up or down to avoid
that situation, else you get into a situation with massive numbers of
collisions.

Clients (laptops, workstations), on the other hand, find an available
network, scanning through the frequencies.

I doubt that our cheap base stations could handle running on more
than one frequency at time, be it for software or hardware reasons.)

Cheers,
-Shady

---
Shady Kanfi                    <www.bellanet.org/staff/shady>
Bellanet International Secretariat   <[log in to unmask]>
Ottawa, Canada                    <+1 (613) 236-6163 x2056>