Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  February 2001

AFRIK-IT February 2001

IICD and Stichting Doen will work together in Jamaica in support of the Caribbeat Project

Ben Geerlings <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:51:45 +0100

                                        ---Sorry for any cross-postings---

Press Release                                     February 26, 2001

"DOEN" means "do" in English, and we are getting it "done" together in
Jamaica

In a nutshell...
*       Stichting DOEN ("Do" Foundation) and IICD are now enabling partners,
both supporting Caribbeat Music Production and Marketing Company;

*       Caribbeat stemmed from an ICT Roundtable Process on Livelihood
Opportunities held in Kingston July 1998, and is one of the Jamaican
owned/operated projects in the IICD portfolio.

*       Caribbeat's objectives are to:

        -       Represent Jamaican and Caribbean artists in the production
and marketing of their musical goods and services;
        -       Assist local artists by strengthening the Caribbean network
of production, distribution and promotion capabilities using mixed media
like Internet e-commerce and satellite radio;
        -       Enhance local and regional socio-economic development by
improving the competitiveness of local artists and producers in the global
marketplace.

"We at Caribbeat are very excited about our partnership with Stichting Doen
and the IICD.  We have benefited substantially from the funding assistance
and from the training and advisory services to our organisation... like the
e-commerce workshop going on right now, which couldn't have come at a better
time for Caribbeat."
- Lloyd Stanbury, Caribbeat Owner/Operator
The Partnership
In July 2000, Stichting DOEN and IICD got together to look at if and how
DOEN could become actively involved in ICTs for development.  DOEN was for
the first time exploring the possibilities offered by ICTs for economic
change and it had been referred to IICD among other organisations, as the
place to go for expertise in the field.  Out of this preliminary meeting
arose an enthousiasm for the possibilities of working together in support of
demand-driven approaches.

It has rapidly become clear that working together on this project is an
acknowledgement of the possibilities of ICT and of joining forces with IICD.

DOEN's financial resources contribution to Caribbeat is a concrete activity
on which our two organisations can partner to the benefit of our local
Jamaican partner.  Caribbeat will use the funds to develop a radio
broadcasting system via Internet and to expand e-commerce facilities.  Both
activities are expected to broaden Caribbeat market share and commercial
reach.

The availability of capital for small-scale businesses in developing
countries is minimal.  The funds freed-up by Stichting DOEN in the case of
Caribbeat, will cover this shortage and enable Caribbeat to realise its
project goals.  IICD is investing its role as knowledge broker and project
advisory services during formulation and implementation, next to a
monitoring and evaluation function.

Both IICD and Stichting DOEN would like to look at this enabling partnership
as the first concrete activity in a possibly expanding relationship.

More Information
The International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD) assists
developing countries in achieving sustainable development by harnessing the
power of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs). It focuses on
good governance, environment, health care, education and socio-economic
opportunities, such as e-commerce.

Local ownership is the major spearhead in implementing the institute's
strategy. IICD's role is to act as a facilitator and an independent broker
in knowledge, partnering and funding. Focus countries are to-date Burkina
Faso, Ghana, Tanzania, Zambia, Mali, Uganda, Jamaica and Bolivia.

If you have any media-related questions, please contact Ms. Loeki
Schaeffers, IICD's Manager, Communications at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

For more information about this enabling partnership, or if you are
interested in more information on how to partner with IICD, please contact
Ms. Ingrid Hagen, IICD's Partnerships Manager at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Be sure to visit the websites of Stichting DOEN (www.DOEN.org) and IICD
(www.iicd.org) to learn more about each organisation and its activities in
the field of ICTs for Development.  You can find out more about Caribbeat's
activities and services at www.caribbeat.com.jm.

With kind regards,

Ben Geerlings
IICD