AFRIK-IT February 2001

Re: Public 802.11 networks?

George Sadowsky <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:00:25 -0500

All,

This is a set of comments on 802.11, not 802.11b, just in the event
that it might be helpful.

802.11 is a pretty well established technology in the United States.
It's an extension of the broadband technology, so that security is a
real issue.

At New York University, where I used to work, we worked with Lucent
on their PubLan (Public LAN) offering to identify and close security
holes, of which there are many in the basic product. More recently,
AeroNet (Cisco has come up with another approach, using among other
things, VPN technology with a central encrypted authorization process
that seems to solve these problems really well.

We also used 802.11 in a historic building where the costs of wiring
would have been prohibitive because of city regulations applying to
the property.

If you're not worried about security all that much, then 802.11 is a
really good alternative for AFrica. Last April Eric Stevance and I
spent several weeks in Madagascar working on a plan to network five
universities. Our recommended solution uses 802.11 extensively for
almost all local loop connectivity between city POPs and campus
locations. You do need line of sight, and you need a little more
around the halfway point to accommodate a Fresnel zone (if you're a
physicist, you understand this).

The technology is being implemented in point to point and point to
multipoint flavors. Initial speeds in the U.S. were 2 mbps but you
can get cards now for less than US $200 that give you 11 (eleven)
mbps. Access points (the wired transponders) that provide the link
to the wired Internet generally consist of a couple of those swame
cards with some additional electronics, and cost less than $1,000.

Range of 802.11 is, in our experience up to 10 km, more or less. I
can't speak about what happens if you jack up the power.

George Sadowsky