Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  January 2001

AFRIK-IT January 2001

1.5 year position available, SADC region

Jeffrey Cochrane <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:04:09 -0500

Greetings Afrik-ITes!

Not sure if I mentioned I no longer live in Nairobi... see
new signature below.

Before I proceed to the next paragraph, permit me to
caution you new users out there not to use the "reply"
key on your email system without assuring that your
reply comes to me, not to this list.  I have staff in
Swakopmund who will deal with you if you make a
mistake...

A colleague of mine is recruiting for a 1.5 year
technical/management position, possibly extending to 2
years, to be based somewhere in the SADC region.  It
would be particularly helpful if I could get
recommendations of particularly promising people to
employ.

The prospective employee should be knowledgeable on
the technical side to be sure, and should have experience
in Southern Africa outside their own country.  My best
guess is that there will be little if any work in this position
in South Africa, so experience there won't help much.

Resumes are unfortunately not very helpful in this kind of
recruitment -- people say all kinds of things in resumes,
so please don't send me any.  Having someone well
known in the field offer a recommendation is indeed very
helpful.

Let me reiterate that I am not doing the employing.  I'm
merely assisting a colleague with the recruitment
process.

Here's an excerpt from the position description:

**********

The Advisor is expected to perform the following items in
assistance to organizations in Southern Africa to be
specified by the employer:

Web site business/strategy.

Low cost/bandwidth videoconferencing

Web site sustainability/content assistance (as needed).

Web site upgrade/maintenance assistance.

Assess network/partner connectivity.

Workshop on content/publishing.

The Advisor is expected to be based within the region
and to have a strong knowledge of both Internet and
Internet business models for the region. It is estimated
that the above activities will take 18 months to achieve.
Total Travel is not expected to exceed  25%.

Taking Web site business/strategy as an example of the
above:

The Regional resident advisor is expected to prepare a
report documenting assessment and analysis for each
organization. Each report will also propose a strategy for
each individual organization to address its website needs
in terms of content, maintenance, and recurring costs.
The report will address the website from a business
investment perspective and is expected to demonstrate
value added, different hosting/maintenance options, and
potential sources of revenue. This is expected to be a
minor but critical component of this activity. Each
assessment is estimated to be achievable within a one-
week timeframe.

*****************

Do let me know if you'd care to recommend someone, or
if your organization might be interested in supplying
someone.

Cheers!
Jeff @ Washington

----