Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Notae, Suspensions, & Witchcraft
From: Michael Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:47:18 -0800

Dennis King writes:
> scribal abbreviations have been expanded.  I find that
> one of the biggest obstacles to reading a text from the
> MS itself, at least initially, is making sense of the
> abbreviations.  This has led me to do a little research
> on the subject.

A good book on the general subject of paleography, which
covers the abbreviations very extensively, is the widely-available
Latin Paleography by Bernhard Bischoff, Cambridge University Press,
isbn 0-521-36726-3.  This edition is translaged by Da/ibhi O/
Cro/ini/n and David Ganz.  David Dumville used it in his
paleography class at Berkeley a few years ago.