Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Echbél - MS
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:56:28 -0800

Scríobh Frédéric Creuzet:

> Eochu Echbél is also the name of the man by whom Nédé, son of Adna, son of
> Uthidir, learnt the science of druids in Alba, in Imacallam in da thuarad
> (Colloquy of the two Sages).

Right.  The text is in The Book of Leinster, and we can now view the
actual MS pages on the web, thanks to the ISOS site at:

 http://www.isos.dcu.ie/baile.html

The actual sentence that first identifies Eochu as Néde's teacher
is on the page shown at:

 http://www.isos.dcu.ie/tcd/tcd_ms_1339/jpgs/186.jpg

If you want to see it, go that URL, look for the illuminated "A"
of "Adna" just below the top of the left hand column.  Then go
to the middle of the line below that and find "Luid" about 2/3
of the way down that line:

Luid iarum in mac sin do fhoglaim ecsi in albain co eochu echbel.

= That son then went to study the art of poetry in Scotland with
(lit. to) Eochu Echbél.

Note that many of the words are abbreviated.  What we actually
see is:

Luid iar~ i~ mc~ si~ do f*oglai~ ecsi i~ albai~ co eoc^u ec^bel.

Note: ~ stands for a line over the letter before, * is the punctum
delens, and ^ is the "spiritus asper" or little mark that looks like
a 2 and indicates lenition.  Note also that in "si" the "i" is
written under the "s".

If you have a good-sized color monitor the text is pretty clear,
and can be a lot of fun to puzzle over and admire.

Dennis