Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Cruit (cont.)
From: Deborah White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:35:08 -0800

A Dhonncha ('s a chairde),

> > "Galpin cites an old Gaelic legend in which a Druid chieftain
> invokes his
> > magic *crot* (meaning lyre) during a battle which supposedly
> took place in
> > the year 1800 B.C.
>
> Wonder where he got that particular date?

I have no idea. What date (roughly) do you attribute to the legend?

> You probably already know these strains.  In Modern Irish spelling:
> "goltraí, geantraí, suantraí" (not to be confused with "gallúntraí".
> aka "sobalchlár"!)  These also figure in "Táin Bó Fraích"  as the names
> of the three sons of Uaithne (who is also the godfather of the Irish
> choral group "Anúna" (< An Uaithne??), apparently).

Yes. I was first introduced to the three strains concept via an album
produced in the mid-70s by a group out of Belfast called "Horslips". The
album, entitled "The Book of Invasions", states the following in its liner
notes:

"In the old Ireland there were three principal categories of song, called
*geantraí*, *goltraí*, and *suantraí* -- the joyous strain, the lamenting
strain, and the sleep strain.

"When Lug was proving himself expert in every art before the Tuatha
hierarchy his musical contribution was an immaculate performance of the
three strains.

"Later, after the Second Battle of Moytura, Lug and the Dagda pursue the
Formorians who have stolen The Mighty One's harp. When the instrument is
located The Dagda bids it come to him. As it flies to his hands it kills
those enemies standing in its path. Then the Dagda plays the three strains
and when the opposing host are sleeping, from the magic of the *suantraí*,
he departs safely, taking his harp with him."

Incidentally, this brings up another question. One of the songs on the album
is "Sword of Light". I recently saw a photograph of the cover of an old
Gaelic magazine entitled "An Claidheamh-Soluis". Is there some historical
significance to this term?

> "Tecosca Cormaic" states that:
>
>   Cáid cach céol co cruit.  (cáid = holy, noble, pure)
>
> And Triad #89:
>
>   Trí ségainni Hérenn: fáthrann, adbann a cruit, berrad aigthe.
>
> putting lyre/harp music right up there with a good shave! :-)

Is maith liom iad seo.

Go raibh maith agat,

Gobnait