XML-L November 2000

Re: Data Loads

Mo Heongora <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 11:29:40 -0000

Thanks again...

what would you recommend xml is used for?

i have just started in this area and don't really understand what benefits
xml has over any other standard?

Regards

Mo

-----Original Message-----
From: General discussion of Extensible Markup Language
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Paul Kelly
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2000 10:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Data Loads

Unless the format of the spreadsheet is going to change dynamically, you
could still use DTS... you can explicitly map one structure on to another
(the Transformation part of DTS!). You can also save DTS packages, and I
believe schedule them to run at specified times.

Otherwise, if you want to go via XML, I think you are stuck with doing a
fair amount of coding. Since you are on a Microsoft platform, your simplest
route might be to investigate VBA for Excel - that should give you the
easiest access to the Excel data, and you can use the MSXML parser built
into IE5 to build your XML document.

It might also be worth investigating SQL Server 2000 as that does have some
XML facilities built in; but I don't have any knowledge or experience with
using them.