Subject: Re: Ballot Design
From: Don Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:59:35 -0600

At 07:18 PM 11/13/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>At 6:49 PM -0500 11/13/00, Monib wrote:
>>Does anyone have a photo/scan of the Florida ballot that has been blamed for
>>much of the confusion in the US election. If so, can you kindly email me a
>>copy?

>>This is a great reference for students of typography.

>Better than that... a flash movie which gives you a pretty good simulation
of what it was like to cast a vote on that ballot:

>http://www.sun-sentinel.com/graphics/news/ballot.htm

And actually with the perspective that they give, I went straight for the
second hole. I caught myself in time, but I could see it being a problem.

That said, I also don't see any practical way to remedy the effect that it
had on the election. A revote, aside from being inpractical timewise, is
also impractical politically. If it's only some counties, the result will
be hopelessly skewed towards Gore. If it's statewide, I'd expect the margin
to come even closer to 0 votes.

-dh

---
Don Hosek           [log in to unmask]    Quixote Digital Typography
312-953-3679        fax: 312-276-3347     orders: 877-634-1811
For information about SERIF: THE MAGAZINE OF TYPE & TYPOGRAPHY,
http://www.quixote.com/serif/ or mail [log in to unmask]
  Have you seen Sans Serif? http://www.quixote.com/serif/sans/