Subject: Re: Eidetic
From: Hrant H Papazian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Nov 2000 18:07:17 -0800

Ellipsis Communications wrote:
> First I'd get my eyes checked, ....

You're apparently missing the point. I didn't mention
that incident because it's cute; I mentioned it because
it carries implications about the human reading process.
Previously on the TypeDesign list:

"
   The other day I saw this wall callendar with an old
   b&w photo of a city skyline with its ship docks in the
   foreground. I first glanced at it in passing, and read
   the title of the calendar as "Los Angeles" (which is the
   area I live in). I looked at it again a minute later, and
   was shocked to realize that it actually said "Ocean Liners"!
   It was set in all-caps, and this tells me that in the absence
   of a familiar bouma (word-shape) -which is what lc letters are
   much better at providing- our brain reads all the available
   letters in parallel (or as much as possible) and tries to put
   together some familiar words as rapidly as possible. I'd read
   about that happening, actually, but had never experienced it
   so powerfully.
"

And if you think that's off-topic for Typo-L, then yes, goodbye.

hhp