Subject: Re: Information design and baseline viewer habits
From: Jack Mlynek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:40:13 -0500

>Item 1: The Florida Buttefly Ballot
>
>Item 2: A church in Durham
>
>Item 3. There's a sign for a day care center. It consists of the words
>     AGAPE
>    Day Care

>What can we learn about how much redundancy and background-filtering people
>build into the way they read things? Because they have been made by
>amateurs, can we infer they are addressed to equally amateur audience or
>readers? Is there a kind of aristocracy of design, or maybe a hierarchy of
>genres of design? Are these amateur signs symptomatic just another example
>of the results of untrained folks using 10-on-automatic Times font with
>bold oblique dropshadow in a tint box?

Tufte discusses the notion of adding. If memory serves, he
illustrates how the addition of extra design elements (such as lines,
arrows, bars, etc.) can create something beyond which the "designer"
intended and render the design less effective.

--
Take care,

Jack Mlynek R.G.D.
Avalanche Communications