Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Algal Oil Content
From: John Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Nov 2000 21:24:00 +0800

This message is posted to you from ALGAE-L.

On
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:24:55 +0200
Zvi Cohen
wrote
Re: Algae oil content

>Dear John
>In the letter attached below containing excerpts from different letters,
>someone suggests that only marine algae can accumulate oil and that oil
>accumulation has to do with salinity. In the last few years I have been
>working on a freshwater alga that can accumulate over 50% oil. Therefore,
>oil accumulation may occur also in other freshwater algae.
>Zvi Cohen

Dear Zvi
Thank you for correcting this mistaken belief early in my looking for Algae.
I think a freshwater specie would be easier to work with in my plant. So
will start investigating the local inhabitants first and see what turns up.
I believe I have seen similar traits in a local resident of sheep watering
troughs
and the like but have not recognised the oil content for what it was at the
time.

Regards
John Harris
Dalwallinu
Australia

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages
can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html
末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末