Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Algae oil content
From: Zvi Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:24:55 +0200

This message is posted to you from ALGAE-L.

Dear John

In the letter attached below containing excerpts from different letters,
someone suggests that only marine algae can accumulate oil and that oil
accumulation has to do with salinity. In the last few years I have been
working on a freshwater alga that can accumulate over 50% oil. Therefore,
oil accumulation may occur also in other freshwater algae.
Zvi Cohen

>This message is posted to you from ALGAE-L.
>
>Chris
>
>I have just subscribed to the Algae-L list and saw your question there
>about extraction etc.
>
>I have been doing a little research on this recently for biodiesal
>production and was interested
>if you had found any other sites with some info.
>
>following is a copy of a letter and reply to a co in USA producing algae

Prof. Zvi Cohen
Director, Blaustein Center for Scientific Cooperation

Microalgal Biotechnology
Jacob Blaustein Institute for Desert Research
Ben Gurion University
Sde Boker campus

Phone  972-7-659-6801
Mobile 058-805-333