Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  November 2000

AFRIK-IT November 2000

Re: Fwd: RE: (PF) Foreign-worker H1B Visa

Alan Levin <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Nov 2000 07:21:50 +0200

Hi,

I believe that the common perspective is that this cannot be avoided.

Attempts are made to address the issue through education programs.
In Cape Town, skills tourism is high, and growing.

New lobbies will hopefully press for similar relaxations of immigration
laws for IT migrant labour to South Africa. At the moment, it is
virtually impossible to recruit a foreign job applicant, whatever the
qualification or remuneration.

r,

Alan

Patrick O'Beirne wrote:

> This is from a mail list in the USA. Concerns are raised that increasing
> the number of visas will cause a "brain drain" in the developing world. Any
> comment?
>
> >From: "Karl W. Feilder" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "Professionals Forum" <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: RE: (PF) Foreign-worker H1B Visa
> >Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:18:33 -0000
> >
> >Professionals Forum - http://www.russkelly.com/pf/
> >
> >Ladies and Gentles,
> >
> >I would have to agree with Kelly R, that South Africa will suffer greatly if
> >the US relaxes its visa requirements.
> >
> >As the CEO of a South African company I have seen first hand the lure of
> >Baywatch inspired dreams on our technical staff. I would have to concede
> >that the daily violence in SA does present many with the catalyst to
> >consider moving overseas, but as a former CEO of a US company I have to
> >council them on the huge differences and challenges involved with moving to
> >the US.
> >
> >Many countries in the world, SA included, have a skills shortage in IT. The
> >solution is not for the richest countries to "steal" staff with offers of
> >high salary and endless McDonalds. Whilst some may consider this as
> >capitalism in action, it is not good for global stability or the global
> >economy.
> >
> >I have, in the past, had discussions with various government leaders to try
> >to "restrict" the ability of skilled staff to emigrate from their country of
> >domicile. Some of you may think that a draconian move, but then you must
> >realise that you live in a totally different society.
> >
> >If the movement of IT staff causes social chaos, and a breakdown of
> >essential services, this will be to the detriment of the nation.
> >
> >Any other suggestions ?
> >
> >Karl
> >
> >Karl W. Feilder
> >President & CEO, Greenwich Mean Time