Subject: Re: referencing an external DTD
From: Marcus Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:05:18 +1000

"Prasad, Sanjay" wrote:

> We have an XML file that gets uploaded into our server for processing.This
> file is uploaded by  external sources.
> In the first line of this XML file,there is a reference to a DTD on the
> server,against which this XML file is
> validated.
> It looks like this-
> line 1: <!DOCTYPE eventfile SYSTEM
> "">

I suspect that the external source providing the data don't know what the
correct URL is, so they put in a dummy instead. You should negotiate agreement
on a PUBLIC identifier for the DTD, then each of you are able to resolve the
identifier as appropriate on your own network. The file might begin more like:

   <!DOCTYPE eventfile PUBLIC "-//Digital//DTD for filing events//EN"

If you care about locations but don't necessarily know what they are, PUBLIC
provides a nice layer of abstraction.

Marcus Carr                      email:  [log in to unmask]
Allette Systems (Australia)      www:
       - Einstein