Subject: Re: Linking to Microsoft Access
From: Lloyd Diernisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:23:00 -0400

Ron Bourret Wrote:

Date:    Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:23:58 -0700
From:    Ronald Bourret <[log in to unmask]>

Talking to a database is not inherent to XML. That is, there is nothing
in XML that knows anything about databases (or just about anything else,
for that matter -- XML is just a syntax).

Fortunately, there is quite a bit of software available to do what you
want -- it interacts with a database and builds an XML document. How the
product interacts -- how you provide connection information, how you
specify what you want from the database, where to place it in the XML
document, etc. -- is product-specific, so you'll just have to try things
out.

By the way, ColdFusion supports XML. I haven't used ColdFusion, but from
my understanding, you should simply be able to replace the HTML tags in
your templates with XML tags and it will work. For example, instead of:

<CFQUERY ... whatever CFQUERY needs>

you should be able to write:

<Results>
<CFQUERY ... whatever CFQUERY needs>
</Results>

See the documentation or the ColdFusion web site for details.

For a general explanation of how XML and databases interact, see:

   http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLAndDatabases.htm

For a list of products you can use, see:

   http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm

My guess is that you'll be most interested in section 2.4 (XML-Enabled
Web Servers) and the products in section 2.1 (Middleware) described as
"template-driven".

The list of products is about six months old, so some of the information
is out of date, some new products are missing, and some links are
broken, but it should get you started. I'm updating it now and should
have a version available in about a week -- I'll announce it when I do.

-- Ron

Response:

Dear Ron,

        Thank you very much for generously taking the time to answer my question so
thoroughly.  I will investigate through the hyperlinks you provided and
follow-up from there.  I am aware that ColdFusion now has some XML
compatibility, but what I found in the documentation explaining it made no
sense to me, or to the programmers on my staff; hence throwing our question
to the newsgroup, which you have so gracefully answered.

Thank you again,

Sincerely,

Lloyd

Lloyd Diernisse