Linking to Microsoft Access

Lloyd Diernisse <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:23:33 -0400

I am brand new to XML, so pardon my ignorance. My understanding, from a
seminar that I recently attended, is that XML is a great tool for data
interchange, especially when the data is stored in different types of
databases. But the documentation I have found so far always stops short of
giving an example of how to access fields and tables in a database, it shows
Documents with the data embedded in them, but I'm looking for a database
connection. In the seminar, the speaker had a small list of names,
addresses, and so on in a document that he then referred to (hard coded) in
his XML. We currently have a number of small databases in Microsoft Access
2000 that have web pages designed in ColdFusion 4.5, linking to them in our
ColdFusion Web Server on an NT server with IIS.

I have been trying to experiment with writing XML to talk to this database,
similar to the way ColdFusion does...is this possible? If so, how?

Everything I have found so far on XML documentation is that there is no way
to point to an Access database. I have seen diagrams showing links to
databases via "parsers" but nothing which explains what these parsers are,
who makes them, how to get one, how to use one and whether one exists for
Access. Or do we have to build our own, and if this is the case, how does
one build one. In ColdFusion, I simply tell the CF server the path to
whichever database I want to use, give it a name, then in my CFML, I use a
CFQUERY tag which refers to the data source by the name I just gave.
Interacting with the database is simply a matter of writing SQL inside my
CFQUERY tags. I want to know if it is possible to do something similar in
XML; can I write an XMLQUERY tag that uses plain old SQL? How would I tell
the server which database the query pertains to? I am truly confused and
any patient, plain English, explanations would be most welcome.

Lloyd Diernisse
Director of Information Management
Communication Management Systems, Inc.
731 Walker Road, Suite H-2