Subject: Re: Good theories illustrated with bad examples
From: "Adam Twardoch (List)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:51:23 +0200

> actually not.  my immediate reaction was "blecch!"  yes, some
> adjustments might improve the appearance, but they've sure gone
> overboard.  when you have a string "...ATE..." and it ends up with
> less open space between the AT and the TE, something's badly wrong.
> and to think that i used to have a somewhat higher opinion of what
> these guys were capable of ...

Of course they got AT kerned, but while originally AT was farther than TE,
after "correction", TE is farther than AT. Also, in "MIC", IC is just way
too close. The following CR is too loose, OSO is way too tight (it's darker
than all remaining text).

And the problem is that they generally reduced the spacing of the text, so
the average user can be actually confused. A user may think that kerning
means "reduce space" and "set extemely tight".

Finally, the setting is just horribly tight. Normally, you tend to set all
caps _looser_ than mixed case, and they've done the opposite.

The result is all but even and all but good-looking.

It reminds me of one of the web design "gurus" (I'm not sure which one it
was, maybe David Siegel?) who was criticized on this list once, because he
used to aggresively write about good web design, but has actually never
designed a good looking site himself.

Best,
Adam