XML-L October 2000

Re: Processing entities

"Healy, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:46:24 -0500

Thanks to all those who responded to my original question below. Even if the
built-in entity mappings do meet our requirements in the short term, this is
really just a specific instance of a more general question: does XSL provide
any ability to do pattern matching on anything other than elements and
attributes? Is it possible to search the *content* of an element, and to
perform manipulations based on the presence or absence of a specific string
or value (entity or otherwise)?

Again, any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Light [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 3:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Processing entities

In message <[log in to unmask]>, John
E. Simpson <[log in to unmask]> writes
>At 12:41 PM 10/23/2000 -0500, Healy, Jonathan wrote:
>>I am trying to work out the details of displaying special characters
>>(greater-than and less-than signs, for example) in both print and online
>>documentation. This means we face the common problem of having to pass an
>>entity such as "&lt;" through an XSL stylesheet without resolving the
>>entity. A more basic problem, however, is that we need to process the
entity
>>differently depending on which stylesheet is being applied.
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>Is this possible using XSL? It seems that with an XSL stylesheet you have
>>two choices: resolve the entity, or don't. I haven't found any way to
>>transform an entity using a stylesheet (replace "&lt;" with "\<", for
>>example). We have similar issues with other special "characters" including
>>non-breaking spaces and carriage returns (whether or not these are really
>>characters, it seems useful to view them that way).
>
>You might want to look at the <xsl:text> element's disable-output-escaping
>attribute, and/or the <xsl:output> element's cdata-section-elements
attribute.

Also check out the built-in mapping of special characters to entity
references within the xsl:output HTML method, "at the discretion of the
XSLT processor" (Kay, p.258).  This may deal with your requirements if,
as suggested above, your special characters are fairly common ones.

Richard Light.

Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy