XML-L October 2000

Re: referencing an external DTD

"Prasad, Sanjay" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:41:22 +0530

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Bohlman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2000 11:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: referencing an external DTD

10/11/00 10:52:52 AM, Marcus Carr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>"John E. Simpson" wrote:
>
>I've never understood that position. It seems to me that a public
identifier
>provides additional information, so why would their use be deprecated?
Since
>have to provide a system identifier as well, it seems a much better idea to
use
>both. What happens if I'm incrementally feeding documents to an
organisation
>and the location of the DTD (which I happen to care about) changes several
>times during the course of the project? I may be able to keep up with the
>changes during delivery, but what about subsequent use of the documents? If
>was using OmniMark to process the documents, I could either allow the
system
>identifier to be regarded (the default behaviour) or I could specify that
the
>system identifier should be ignored and the public identifier should be
>respected.
>
>For the life of me, I can't see why that wouldn't be considered a more
>desirable approach. I suppose you could argue that the public identifier
might
>change over the course of the project, but that's much, much less likely to
>happen.

As I see it, the big problem is that there's no fully-accepted standard for
resolving public identifiers, whereas system identifiers that take the form
of
URLs have standard resolution mechanisms.
--------------
-But,why does the parser fail to recognise even system identifiers that take
the form
-of URLs?like in my case it fails to recognise
-<!DOCTYPE eventfile SYSTEM "http://xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx/xxx/xxx/dtdfile.DTD">
-but picks it up if the domain name xxx.xxx.xxx is replaced by the IP.

A couple people have implemented John Cowan's proposal
(<URL:http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/XCatalog.html>) for a stripped-down
version of SOCAT (along with a parallel XML-based alternative syntax); I've
done one for Perl (XML::Catalog) and Norman Walsh has done one for, I
believe,
Xerces-J.