XML-L October 2000

Re: referencing an external DTD

"Prasad, Sanjay" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:25:28 +0530

        Thanks a lot,Marcus.
        The URL used by the external sources is always correct because they
use a VB client
        provided by us,which generates the XML file for the data entered by
them.
        After this file is uploaded,the application tries to load the
validating DTD via the http     path mentioned
        below.But this DTD is again in the same machine as the one in which
the XML file    resides,although it is referred using an http url.
        The confusing part is that the parser seems to recognise the IP
address instead of the
        actual URL.
        Can this have something to do with the firewall/proxy settings or
could it be a version
        problem of the MS xml parser?(I ask this because the server does not
have IE5 on it).
        Also,Marcus,another (probably stupid) question:
        how does a public identifier arrived at?If I need to have a public
identifier like
        <!DOCTYPE eventfile PUBLIC "-//Digital//DTD for filing events//EN"
        "http://url/path/dtdfile.dtd">,
        then do I need to change any settings/path of my DTD file on the
server?

        Thanks very much and regards,
        Sanjay