Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Tune id/request for Joanie Madden Whistle Tunes???
From: John Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:29:37 -0400

[cross-posted to woodenflute from IRTRAD-L]

Peter Crummy wrote:

> On  one of Joanie Madden solo albums she does the following whistle sets

> Johnny Doherty's/Sean Sa Cheo/Lady Gordon reels
> I can't locate Johnny Doherty's
>
> John Bradys/High Reel/Martin Wynne
> I can't locate John Bradys and can't figure out which Martin Wynnes she's
> playing
>
> Hyne's March_Johnny Harling's_Lasses of Ballintra
> I can't locate Hyne's March
>
> Cat's Meow _Partners In Crime
> I can't locate either tune
>
> Charlie Mulvihill's_The Conspiracy
> I can't locate The Conspiracy

On the woodenflute list right now there's a discussion going on about why many
people discourage learning tunes from "the dots" and say that tunes should
rightly be learned by ear. Advocates of the dots say their method should be
sufficient. Well, here's a classic example of why it's not. Peter says he can't
locate these tunes (some of which are fairly new compositions, e.g. Joanie
Madden's "Partners in Crime" and "Cat's Meow"), but in fact he HAS located them.
They're right there on his CD. If he could learn tunes by ear, he'd have them
already with no need to ask around for a source for the dots.

Not to disparage Peter - maybe he knows how to learn by ear, I don't know.
Joanie Madden does play awfully fast sometimes. But with enough listening and
enough practice at listening, Peter could find himself with the tune in his
head, and then he could find himself able to lilt it, and then he could soon
find himself playing it. Well, maybe not soon if he's never done this before,
but eventually. And each time he repeats this process, it will get easier. Go
for it, Peter. Get off the dots!

John Kerr (still on the learning curve myself on this...)