Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Algae oil content
From: Gordon Couger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Oct 2000 02:12:11 -0500

This message is posted to you from ALGAE-L.

There are lots of way to extract oil but hexane is used a lot and it is
easy to use. The cell must be broken. Again a lot of ways to do it. In a
lab a long time in the blender a shorter time in a tissue grinder. If you
do it in a blender you will proably want to do it in water since hexane is
pretty volitile and burns real good.

Once you get the cells broken add hexane and shake a lot. Seperate off
hexane and distill off the hexane and what's left is the oil soluble part.
There will be things in there besides oil. Fractional crystalization and
distation should seperate those out.

In productin I would look at using liquid CO2 at high pressure to get the
oil out blasting the algea throuh a small orfice at high pressure.
Grinding in hexane would also work in a commercial system because a
grinder to containg the hexane could be built.

I have no idea how much oil is there.

Gordon
Gordon Couger [log in to unmask]
Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger