XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

XML-L Home

XML-L  September 2000

XML-L September 2000

Re: XML-L Digest - 19 Sep 2000 to 20 Sep 2000 (#2000-224)

Wendell Piez <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:06:47 +0100

Hello Kim,

This is a tricky problem.

There may be more than one way of going about it, but I'd suggest something
like the following:

<xsl:template match="filter"/>
<!-- assures that nothing wrapped in a filter element
     will appear in output -->

<xsl:template
   match="bullet[not(preceding-sibling::node()[1]/self::filter/bullet) and
                 not(preceding-sibling::node()[1]/self::bullet)]">
  <!-- creates a ul when the first bullet in a series of bullets is
       processed, and populates it with the bullet and subsequent
       immediately-following bullets -->
  <ul>
    <li>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </li>
    <xsl:apply-templates

select="following-sibling::bullet[not(preceding-sibling::node()[not(self::bu
llet) and not(self::filter)][position() &gt; position(current())]]"/>
  </ul>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template
   match="bullet[preceding-sibling::node()[1]/self::filter/bullet or
                 preceding-sibling::node()[1]/self::bullet]">
  <li>
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </li>
</xsl:template>

Or this is the direction I'd work in, in any case. Note I haven't tested
this, so it's almost sure to break -- but I think the logic should be close.

The XPath would be much easier if there weren't the possibility of more
than one list inside a para. A simpler solution (or one that hides the
complexity, anyway) _might_ be possible using keys (key each bullet to the
proper first bullet of its list).

As you have ascertained, the problem wouldn't arise if you had a list
wrapper element: by far the best solution is to convince the writers that
it's worthwhile putting in ul-style elements for your sake. (And ultimately
for their own: what happens when they want numbers? easy to tag with a
wrapper, a pain without.) After all, why should they bother putting in
<para> tags either? (Answer: so the computer doesn't have to be as smart as
they are. :-)

Hope this helps. Incidentally, this is a good question for the XSL-List
(see http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list).

Regards,
Wendell

NB: <filter condition>...</filter> is not well-formed, but you probably
already know that.