Subject: Re: Inserting XML data into tables
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:14:05 -0400

At 04:54 PM 09/14/2000 +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
>* John E. Simpson
>|
>| (1) Use an external entity reference to pull it in where
>| needed. Problem with this is that I don't know if the inserted
>| file's stylesheet PI will be honored. (Anybody else know?)
>
>... What might cause trouble
>is that the entity reference (and thus the PI) would have to appear
>inside the document element.  How this would effect the honouring of
>the PI I don't know.

Yes, that's what I was wondering about. Given a master-with-included
document structure like this:

    master document root
       master stylesheet PI
       master root element
          master element 1
          master element n [<td>, in this case]
             included document root
                included stylesheet PI
                included root element
                    (etc.)

I couldn't quite get my head around "what should happen" with that embedded
stylesheet. It also seems to be one of those awful, gray areas where whicih
processor you use makes a big difference. Easy enough to test, I guess, but
one has to place one's priorities somewhere. :)  That's why I said I'd
probably use the XSLT document() function, because it'd be much easier to
control.
John E. Simpson         | "I used to be an airline pilot. I got fired.
http://www.flixml.org   | I kept locking the keys in the plane. They
[log in to unmask]     | caught me on an 80-foot stepladder with a