Subject: Re: DTD or SCHEMA is it required
From: Eric Bohlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 14 Sep 2000 02:55:23 -0700

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Priya Pinto wrote:

> Am fairly new to XML and I wanted to know if using a DTD or a schema is a must? Am working on a project which uses xml as a database. And am also using jsp.

From a purely technical point of view, no.  Well-formed XML can be parsed
without having to consult a formal grammar.  From an administrative point
of view, probably yes.  You need to describe your language precisely
enough that developers can write code to handle it (particularly if you're
using the language to send data across organizational boundaries) and a
DTD or schema is almost certainly going to be simpler and easier to
understand than any other way of describing the language.  Even if you
don't use it for machine validation of instances of your language, a DTD
or schema is valuable documentation.