Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Hello agus Hi
From: Tom Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:01:32 +0100

>And although I can't vouch for its pedigree, I'm pretty sure I've seen
>"cho+fad" used together not infrequently, in some course or other.   As in
>"Cho fad 's a tha fhios agam..."  ("As far as I know..")  And there are
four
>different proverbs in Nicolson's "Gaelic Proverbs" which start with "Cho
>fad 's a.."  -- all of them translated as "As long as..."

Yes Tris, you're right.  Now that you've made me think, I remember that
in the dim and distant past I was told that "cho" never lenites a following
adjective. Is co lionmhor meurachd agam agus aig cach! (I make as many
mistakes as others do). (and I wonder if not leniting co to cho after "is"
is
also a mistake? You've got me worried about my use of cho!)
So "cho fhad" is just a local dialect variation from the normal "cho fad"
and
what I wrote was misleading. Oddly enough, I don't lenite other adjectives
after cho, even adjectives beginning "f + vowel" and even with fada it's
"cho fada ri" in contrast to "cho fhad' 's" - so it's just this one stock
phrase
that gets the lenition. I'm not sure how widespread "ch fhad' 's" in place
of
"cho fad' 's" is, I guess it must be pretty well universal in the Coigeach
peninsula or I wouldn't have it stuck quite so firmly in my mind but that
doesn't say anything about usage in other areas.

Micheal

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]