Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Aphanocapsa
From: "Josey, Simon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:23:32 +1100

This message is posted to you from ALGAE-L.

Greetings to fellow colleagues

I recently received a sample that was highly pink in colour. Upon microscope
analysis, the Cyanobacteria Aphanocapsa was identified in extremely high
numbers. We are not 100% on the id, but think it unlikely to be anything
else. The sample was from a mining waste dam. pH was 6.8
We can find little on this blue-green, except for the following:

They are sometimes known to occur in small blooms with high blooms of the
potentially toxic blue-green algae Microcystis aeruginosa, but a severe
bloom of this genus by itself is a rare event, and hense its toxicity is
unknown but thought to be non-toxic. Most species show a preference for soft
water and acidic habitats.

[ In reference to the water-sample's pink colouration, it is likely to be
caused by the blue-green, as not all  "blue-green" bacteria are blue; some
common forms are red or pink from the pigment phycoerythrin.  ]

Does anyone have any more information on this elusive blue-green or can
confirm that our id may be correct? (cells were tiny blue cells and often in
pairs)

Thanks in advance for your help

cheers

Simon

_______________________________
Simon Josey
Aquatic Biologist

Biology
ECOWISE Environmental - Scientific
16 Lithgow Street
(PO Box 1834)
Fyshwick ACT 2609

ph (02) 6270 7665
fax (02) 6270 7696
note: new phone and fax numbers
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.ecowise.com.au

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages
can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html
末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末