Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  September 2000

AFRIK-IT September 2000

Re: ccTLDs: What role for African governments?

"Dr. Nii Quaynor" <[log in to unmask]>

Dr. Nii Quaynor

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:36:15 +0100

Hello,

Jeff@Nairobi wrote:

> I do detect in the July 2000 communique the hint of a
> debate between the GAC and the ccTLD group, to which
> Nii alludes:
>
> > Currently, the GAC and the ccTLD constituency have
> > different proposals under discussion. In short the jury
> > is still out and we should remain open, agile and work
> > for consensus.
>
> It is good news indeed to hear that there is an ongoing
> debate, and I am personally greatly appreciative of Dr.
> Quaynor's active participation in that debate.  Is there
> some way for interested parties to remain current on the
> substance of the debate, to provide regular input to the
> various delegates, etc?

join the relevant institutions or participate with them as the case may be.
www.cctld.org
www.aftld.org
are a start. One may lisase with LACTLD, APTLD and CENTR as well. Note the
need to build African Institutions and constructive participation
establishes our consensus positions on issues.

On the specifics, there were 2 meetings between GAC and the ccTLD
constituency, I am aware of, which occured at Yokohama. These had been
scheduled as normal meetings of the organizations but each inviting the
other to discuss the topics such as best practices, guidelines and
redelegation. Its good dialog. One would hope that there will be  more such
consultations in LA.

The cctld constituency material on the topics may be found at (see email
from cctld secretariat)