AFRIK-IT September 2000

Highway Africa Day 3

Jeffrey Cochrane <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:00:37 +0200

Greetings Afrik-ITes!

What is the Internet doing to Africans?  "Wrong
question," says Professor Anthony Olorunnisola of Penn
State University, speaking on this third day of the
Highway Africa conference in Grahamstown.  Rather,
What are Africans doing with the Internet?  Has kind of a
Kennedyesque ring to it, no?

The theme of the day had to do with African information
on the Web, and Professor Olorunnisola suggests that
we look to the African diaspora as a critical partner in
developing a stronger African presence.

Ken Oluoch of the Nation Media Group in East Africa
offered surprising statistics -- 350,000 hits per day on
their online newspaper sites, essentially an experiment
that has proved exceedingly successful.  Over lunch he
informed me that advertising revenues cover all the costs,
another surprise.

He told us during his presentation a bit about the history
of that site.  Their crew at Nation spent quite a bit of time
getting the site ready, so much time in fact that the board
of directors finally got frustrated and ordered them to go
live with whatever draft they had on hand.  Good advice I
think.  I've noticed a decided tendency among many
organizations to plan their Web sites for years at a time
without ever putting them online, and then end up
scrapping everything because the information has gone
out of date.

An interesting observation from Russell Yeo, speaking
about e-commerce advertising for M-Web.  Basically they
chase about 40 percent of disposable income in South
Africa that is controlled by about the 5 percent of the
population that has Internet access -- I was writing quick
notes, so hopefully I have those numbers correctly.  The
rest is essentially not important from a financial
perspective.  Which of course raises interesting issues
for those of us interested in the question of access to the
Internet for the other 95 percent.

I spoke a bit about this over lunch with Peter da Costa
(now at UNECA, formerly an IPS news manager).  As
Internet consumers, perhaps there's not much to be done
right now for the bulk of Africa's population.  Would you
agree?  Should we not waste our resources there?

Perhaps the real impact of e-commerce will be on job
creation.  For example, David Shackleton of Metropolis
(which owns IAfrica) sees a number of massive deals for
industrial products being placed in South Africa for export
to Europe and other places.  Presumably if South Africa
is able to levrage the Internet to become a major world
supplier (or perhaps even just a minor one) of products
made in South Africa, the jobs thereby created (factory
workers, transport, etc.) could be highly beneficial to
lower income workers.

Personally I'm not ready to write off lower income
consumers.  There's quite a bit of pessimism these days
about community telecenters, but based on experiences
in Senegal and a few other places, I still think there's a
lot that can be done with them, if only we find the right
business model.

I confess I did not catch the names of all the food we ate
last night at the MWeb party -- see the pictures on the
Web site at http://www.highwayafrica.org.za.  Served in
big pots, baked beans, sauteed chopped vegetables, rice
cooked with vegetables and sauce.  My West African
friends would be looking for the pili pili, to be sure, but I
found it flavorful and filling.

Being an old man, I retired early, but I later heard it
reported that the Newsroom of the Future staff, mostly
students, turned up the music and kept delegates up
pretty late.

Cheers!
Jeff @ Grahamstown

----
Information and Communication Technology Programs
USAID/REDSO/ESA
http://www.usaid.gov/redso
Tel +254 (2) 862400 x2762
Email [log in to unmask] (preferred)