Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Cane treatment
From: Tim Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:45:35 -0400

List,

A local business has a process by which they impregnate hardwood with an
acrylic by putting the wood in a serious vacuum and then essentially
drawing the acrylic through the entire piece of wood. The wood is then
irradiated, which causes the acrylic to harden in the wood, adding
between 30% and 100% weight(?) or volume(?) to the wood, and of course,
hardening it.

I am going to take some cane slips in various stages of completion to
this Co. to see what this treatment might do for the stability of a
reed. Anyone heard of, or tried something like this? I have my
suspicions that the cane will become too brittle/ unworkable, but it
will be interesting to see.

Tim