Subject: Re: Appropriate face for business letters
From: Robin Kinross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:51:56 +0100

Tom Chadwin:

>This will probably be a quickie, but can I ask which typefaces people use
>for business letters? I have used Letter Gothic for some time, since I like
>its clarity and functional air in a short letter on a page with Word's
>ludicrously wide margins,

Why don't you change the margins? But there's a case for making the left
margin a little *greater* than the default (1 1/4 inch?) MS Word gives you
- to let your receiver punch and file the letter more easily.

>and with a full line break between paragraphs.
>
>However, I have just had to compose a covering letter for a job application,
>with narrower margins, half line breaks between paragraphs, and a fair bit
>of text, including a bullet(t?)ed list. In this context, the extremely light
>weight of the face starts to look like my handwriting (ie spidery/spikey).

Letter Gothic Bold - you could try that.

There's more of an argument than just 'custom' in favour of single-width
letters for correspondence. Letters are provisional, modest items; putting
the words into a full-blown typeface, with italic, bold and all, may be
giving them more dignity than they deserve. A short, perhaps mispelled,
mispunctuated letter in, say, Minion is not pretty - in Courier it's not so
bad.

RK