XML-L August 2000

database setup

Zeba Khan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:30:25 -0400

Hello --

I'm am extremely new to xml stuff. I was wondering if anyone can answer my
questions:

I am trying to set up a system to collect data from contracts from different
organizations (about 130) to form a policy database. Each contract is about
30-40 pages. Right now we are gathering information as text and evaluating
it ourselves and putting the data into Access. From Access, we plan to code
with asp and create a Web search form for answers to queries (which we will
probably pre-determine). End users will also need to have the actual
supporting text from the initial documents retrieved as well as one other
accompany document. Most of the data is text and the cells in Access are
limited.

Another big issue is maintenance of the database. When an organization
changes it's policies, it will send us a new contract which we will probably
need to input and re-code.

Is there any easy way to get this done using an xml dtd? One problem I can
see is that the organizations sending us the primary data are not very tech
savvy. (Not that I am either!) We're getting the documents as Word. If we do
issue a dtd, is there an easy way for non-tech people to tag document with
xml? And how would people retrieve specific info from an xml-coded database?

If anyone can offer any insight or starting points for me, I would be
forever grateful. Thanks.