XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

XML-L Home

XML-L  August 2000

XML-L August 2000

Re: Application for reading a Web page contents

Jens Lippmann <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:21:10 -0400

mshtml.dll is a COM server that ships with IE (and is used by the IE browser
internally as parser & renderer), but it does expose an complete object
model for handling html, which you can used be with common MS tools like VB
or VC++ (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtmleditplatf.asp
for the a general description of the latest version that ships with IE5.5)

You need to get the IHTMLDocument2 interface (see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/overview/overview.asp for
the howto) to access document properties, each element of the document
(IHTMLElement), and its properties.

Now again, this might be overkill for what you're trying to do, because you
get a lot of additional information AND it is a Microsoft solution, which is
relatively easy to implement, but proprietary to the MS platform (Somehow
this has been falling out of favor...)

Jens