Subject: Re: Hi everyone
From: Mark Wonsil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 27 Aug 2000 21:44:12 -0400

I am sure others will add to this, but one of the reasons to do XML is to
separate your data from its presentation.  Hand coding (X)HTML is a lot of
work, especially when its time to re-launch your site, make it available in
other countries, other browsers (cell phones, phones, WebTV...)  Of course,
you don't have to write DTD's.  Your XML must be well-formed.  For message
oriented XML, I think XSchema will replace DTD's.  While HTML "seems" more
concise, you'll get better search results, easier presentation changes and
better client support using XML.

One project I have been working on is having my legacy systems (written in
Cobol and even Fortran) serve up XML documents so that data can be used by
JSP, servlets, Perl, Python, or whatever.

Good Luck,

Mark Wonsil
4M Enterprises, Inc.