Subject: Re: Appropriate face for business letters
From: ibbetson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:02:26 -0400

At 18:00 04-08-00 +0100, Tom Chadwin wrote:
>This will probably be a quickie, but can I ask which typefaces people use
>for business letters? I have used Letter Gothic for some time, since I like
>its clarity and functional air in a short letter on a page with Word's
>ludicrously wide margins, and with a full line break between paragraphs.
>
>However, I have just had to compose a covering letter for a job application,
>with narrower margins, half line breaks between paragraphs, and a fair bit
>of text, including a bullet(t?)ed list. In this context, the extremely light
>weight of the face starts to look like my handwriting (ie spidery/spikey).

Most businesses use Times (New) Roman, because it's the default.

At one time I used Palatino, then Century Schoolbook (good for people with
bad eyesight) and I'm currently experimenting with Optima.

David ib

David Ibbetson * 133 Wilton Street * Unit 506 * Toronto M5A 4A4
                      mailto:[log in to unmask]
Phone:(416)363-6692     Cel:(416)831-6692     Fax:(416)363-4987